Sunny Jacob SJ
Anyone who understand the Christianity in Kerala, and the way the faith rooted and spread in the soil, will understand why the enemies within and outside the Church bend on destroying the faith. Once upon a time the Europeans came to India and spread the Christian faith among people. Later on Kerala became the stronghold of missionaries not only in India but also to the whole world. The Church in Kerala has given us models of faith, great Saints, Blesseds, Martyrs of faith and Servants of God.
This also is the cause of the problems of Kerala Church. The enemies of Christianity from within and outside cannot digest the faith and dedicated commitment of Christianity. So somehow, they are targeting the Church from all corners now.
I think vocation to Priesthood and religious life as brothers and sisters are the target from the enemies. They know the Church thrives because of the committed vocation to religious and priestly life. So targeting them will prevent vocation. The media and the fanatic organisations are on the lookout for a slightest mistake of one person within to target the entire faith. Governmental machinery is used to target the faithful and the hierarchy to create a wedge between them.
Look at the number of Holy people gone ahead of us from Kerala. I think the enemies are scared of the deep rooted faith and faith formation of people there.
1. St. Alphonsa Muttathupadathu, FCC (Pala)
2. St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara, CMI
3. St. Euphrasia, CMC (Trichur)
1. Blessed Mariam Thresia Chiramel Mankidiyan CHF (Irinjalakuda)
2. Blessed Kunjachan Thevarparampil Augustine (Pala)
3. Blessed Devasahayam Pillai (Kottar)
4. Blessed Rani Maria Vattalil FCC (Indore)
1. Venerable Fr. John Vincent, OCD (Verapoly)
2. Venerable Fr. Aurelian, OCD (Verapoly)
3. Venerable Fr. Mathew Kadhalikattil (Pala)
4. Venerable Mar Thomas Kurialassery (Changanacherry)
5. Venerable Sr. Fernanda Riva FDCC (Alleppey)
6. Venerable Fr. Zacharias, OCD (Verapoly)
7. Venerable Fr. Joseph Vithayatil (Irinjalakuda)
Servants of God from the Latin Catholic Church
1. Fr. Sebastian Presentation (Alleppey)
2. Msgr. Reynold Purackal (Alleppey)
3. Msgr. Lawrence Puliyanath (Cochin)
4. Sr. Petra Dinadasi, DSS(Kannur)
5. Sr. Maria Celine Kannanayikil, UMI (Kannur)
6. Fr. Theophane, OFM Cap. (Verapoly)
7. Sr. Eliswa Vakayil CTC (Verapoly)
8. Fr. George Vakayil (Verapoly)
Servants of God from Syro Malabar Church
1. Bishop Mar Mathew Kavukattu (Changanacherry)
2. Puthenparambil Thommachan (Changanacherry)
3. Fr. Varghese Payapilly (Ernakulam-Angamaly)
4. Msgr. Joseph Panjikkaran (Ernakulam-Angamaly)
5. Fr. Canisius Thekkekara, CMI (Irinjalakuda)
6. Brother Fortunatus Thanhauser, (Kanjirappilly)
7. Bishop Mar Mathew Makil (Kottayam)
8. Fr. Thomas Poothathil (Kottayam)
9. Fr. Augustine John Ukken (Trichur)
10. Fr. Antony Thachuparambil (Irinjalakuda)
Servant of God from Syro-Malankara Church
1. Archbishop Geevarghese Mar Ivanios (Trivandrum)
I am not surprised the maligning of vocation to priesthood and religious life that is going on in Kerala….Because Kerala has many Saints and models of faith through religious life targeting religious life and potraying it negatively is the handiwork of the enemies, of course, from inside and outside. In fact it will increase only in the coming days. The Church people must realise this and do not allow to be a prey in the hands of the enemies.
Within the Church it is a call for all of us to turn towards God more earnestly and witness truly our Christian call. Correct the mistakes and focus on Jesus. Unitedly we must face the external enemies by our good faith, forgiveness, humility, patience, gentleness and spreading the goodness through our lives. By God’s grace the faith will increase and the enemies will be scattered. God bless the Church!